April 9, 2014

Peeling Nail Polish

What the heck did I do wrong?~

***Update~ I used the Sally Hansen Double Duty base and top coat with another polish from a different brand. It peeled off exactly like this polish did. I don't know for sure that it caused it to happen, but I have never had this happen before. I have not purchased another base coat to compare because I am not currently painting my fingernails. They are in terrible shape and need some TLC.

Also, I have had some major problems with being completely exhausted 24/7 and had a larger than "normal" amount of pain last month. I have posts I'm working on finishing and some reviews coming up. :-D

***Original Post~
Ok, I am obsessed with all of the beautiful pastel Spring colors. I have always loved Easter decorations because they are so cute. My current favorite color is baby blue for nails. It is just adorable and I finally found one that looked like the shade of blue that I wanted. It's the NYC #151 Skyline Blue. I absolutely love it!

So, why is it peeling off in sheets from my nails?  I'm not a nail expert and I have never been good at painting my own nails. I usually end up cleaning up a lot of  messy edges when I'm done. I am right handed and the peeling only happened on my right hand.  

What I did:
On clean nails I applied the Sally Hansen Double Duty Base and Top Coat. After that dried I applied the first coat of the NYC nail color which was super streaky. Once I went back over it with the second coat it looked much better and I decided to stop at two and applied the NYC In A New York Minute Quick Dry. When it was all nice and dry I applied some Suave Moroccan Infusion to my cuticles. This is something I've just purchased as well. It isn't advertised as being a cuticle oil, but says that it is ok to use all over the body for moisture. This is supposed to be a dry oil, but it's pretty greasy to me.  I also noticed that mineral oil is listed in the ingredients. Maybe this caused the peeling?

The one good use I have found for this oil is to apply it just before I applied my shaving cream.  My legs usually end up irritated no matter what I use lately and this seemed to keep that from happening. I will try this again and see if it was a fluke or something I will continue to do.

Everything was great for about two days and then the first nail peeled. The next day the second and third nails both peeled off as well. I was going to apply a top coat about the time the first nail peeled, but that didn't happen.

Here are the pics-

NYC  Skyline Blue-about three days old
Left hand 

Peeled off color from the second nail after a trip
to the store. The polish came off like this
each time.

I have not tried using this polish again.  When I do I will add a top coat once everything is dried and leave the oil off.   If anyone knows why this happened please leave me a comment. Could this be a defect in this polish itself?  

2 comments:

  1. It is a stunning color! It can be the brand of nail polish you are using that is making it peel. xoxo
    www.fashionphases.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking the same thing! I will just have to try it again when I stop being disgusted with it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete